Dimitar Kirov – DiKiro (1935-2008)
Dimitar Kirov, also known as DiKiro, was a Bulgarian artist born in 1935 in Istanbul, Turkey. He graduated with a specialty in “Monumental-decorative painting” in 1959 after studying with Prof. Georgi Bogdanov at the High institute for Fine Arts “Nikolai Pavlovich” (now the National Academy of Arts). From the early 1960s, he actively participated in the artistic life in Bulgaria and abroad. He was a member of the Plovdiv group, which included artists such as Georgi Bozhilov–Slona, Encho Pironkov, Ioan Leviev, and Hristo Stefanov.
DiKiro worked in various techniques, such as painting, graphics, and monumental arts including mosaic, sgraffito, and fresco. His monumental works include: glass engravings in the Home of the Newlyweds on 6th September Street, Plovdiv (1962); the mosaic on the facade of the Maritsa Hotel, Plovdiv (1966); the sgraffito “Horses” (“Chariot”) on Tsar Boris III Blvd., Plovdiv (1966); the sgraffito on the side facade of the former “Museum of the Revolutionary Movement and Resistance,” now the “New History” department of the Regional History Museum-Plovdiv (1967); the sgraffito “Thracian past” in the home of Atanas Krastev at “Dr. Stoyan Chomakov” street No. 5A, Old town Plovdiv (1967); the wall painting in the courtyard of the former “Museum of National revival and the Revolutionary Movement,” now part of the Regional History Museum-Plovdiv (1968); the sgraffito (in collaboration with Petar Dochev) on the facade of the „Deveti Mai“ factory for Woodworking Machinery, Plovdiv (1969); the mural “From the cultural history of Plovdiv” in the Satellite office of the communist party in Plovdiv (1969); the sgraffito “Orpheus” (1970); the sgraffito “Thracian Horseman” in Ancient Plovdiv (1973); the mosaic “Rhodope Song” in the foyer of Hall 2 of the National Palace of Culture (1981); the mosaic “April Rising” in the Buzludzha Monument (1981); the mosaic in the Druzhba Hall of the “Saint Petersburg” hotel, Plovdiv (1981); the wall painting in “Zlatyu Boyadzhiev” museum, Old Plovdiv (1984); the “Dobrudzha” mosaic in the satellite office of the Communist Party in Dobrich (1985); the mosaic and sgraffito on the facade of the Museum of Georgi Bozhilov – Slona, Old Plovdiv (2003); and mosaic ensemble in the artist’s home in Ancient Plovdiv (2004).
DiKiro was also involved in social and creative activities, especially while serving as the chairman of the City Council for Art and Culture in Plovdiv from 1973 to 1975. He was a member of the management of the Union of Bulgarian Artists (UBA) from 1968 to 1985. He served as secretary for creative affairs of the Plovdiv department of the UBA from 1970 to 1976 and 1986 to 1989. DiKiro was the recipient of many honors and awards including The Sofia Award in 1967, the title “Honored Artist” in 1974, First Prize of the Society of Artists from South Bulgaria in 1967, – the title “People’s Artist” in 1985, – the Grand Prize “Zlatyu Boyadzhiev” in 1986, – and induction into the Order of “St. Cyril and Methodius” in 2005.